Sunday, September 27, 2009

Percy Jackson and the Olympians


I have shared with readers here on the blog that I am taking a Young Adult Literature class which is taking a lot of reading time. I have 14 books I have to read this semester, and quite a few papers and reflections. This is keeping me from reading many series books from the past, but is introducing me to new titles, authors, and series.

One such series is Percy Jackson and the Olympians. With five books in the series I have read the first two, and I have to say that they are wonderful reads. The series centers around a young boy who discovers that he is a demigod. Demigods are illegitimate children of the Greek Gods and Goddesses. Zeus, Poseidon, Hermes... they are all there. Like Harry Potter returning to school each Fall, Percy finds himself returning to Camp Half-Blood, a summer camp close to Long Island, that serves as a safe haven for kids sired by the Gods. Adventures ensue as Percy finds himself battling evil forces that want to destroy Mount Olympus (now located hundreds of floors above the Empire State Building!) and enslave mankind.
The five book series is exciting, opens up for a reader the world of Greek mythology, and fun to read. I have managed to procure 3 first printings signed by the author, Rick Riordan, and will be hanging on to them. More people will be exposed to Percy and his friends next January. A feature length film of The Lightening Thief, is being filmed by director Chris Columbus, and the previews I've seen look like it is going to be fun.
If you haven't checked out this series yet, I urge you to do it. The books are great reads, and I believe these will be collectibles of the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment